Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Poker is fun?

10 AUG 05

Last night was the most fun I’ve had playing poker when I didn’t win. I actually broke even, although I didn’t play many hands.

The game was $10/$20 at the Muckleshoot, and the table was a bunch of regulars. I am still a relative newcomer, but we had great conversation and a lot of laughs. Yes, I know we were trying to beat each others brains out, but I was still able to enjoy myself.

Mike Caro said that people enjoy losing to him because he makes everyone have fun at the table. In Doyle Brunson’s Super/System 2, he said that talkative tables are often loose, and therefore will give you a lot of action. There was plenty of action to be had last night, I just got cold-decked. I went 30 consecutive hands without a face card!!

The best part was one jovial woman at my end of the table calling me a wimp for leaving at 11:30 pm. I told her it was because I had to get up at 4 am, and she said she had to get up at three. What I didn’t tell her was that I needed to be rested so that nobody died today.

I never tell people what I do, although maybe I should. After all, this blog is called Never Play Poker with a Man Called Doc. How will they know I’m a doc if I don’t tell them?

You should be reading: Pokercheckraise.com

Final thought: We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan, 1892, Act III (I promise quotes from someone other than Wilde in the near future. These are just some of my favorites)

No comments: