Thursday, September 01, 2005

A Clash of Kings

1 SEP 05

That’s actually the title of George R. R. Martin’s second book in what is soon to be a 4 parter in the Song of Ice and Fire series. Seems appropriate for a poker blog, too.

As I noted, my bankroll has suffered lately. I’m stuck for all my online play. My entire stake at Party Poker and Poker Stars had vanished, and I was hovering near the bottom of the barrel (talk about a mixed metaphor). I took close to my last $400 to the Muckleshoot a couple of days ago. I say it was nearly my last because I forced myself to stick to the “poker-can” concept, and so far it’s working. That is, it was until recently.

For those that didn’t read it on an earlier blog, the poker-can probably saved my marriage (okay, that’s a bit of an overstatement. Let’s just say that after an INTENSE discussion with my wife, we decided that using family money was unacceptable for by burgeoning poker career, so we staked my “can.” When the stake is gone, it’s gone. Then the begging begins, and NOBODY wants that).

I started looking at this like a business recently, and I immediately became much more frugal. Start thinking about BB/hr and stop lamenting individual hands, I told myself. Well, I’ve cashed in the last two tournaments I played and had three consecutive winning sessions (included a 4/8 win, which is astounding given that this isn’t really poker IMHO). While the bankroll isn’t back to even yet, it’s getting there. I’ve decided not to rebuy on Poker Stars until I get back to even (or close to it) and then I’m going to stick with +EV events like 5/10 LHE and the $15 two-table NHLE.

One bad hand from last night: I’m playing 10/20 and I’m in MP with AJo. I’m first in, so I raise. I get three callers. The flop is A 9 6 rainbow. BB checks, I check and the button checks. The turn is a K. BB bets and I raise. He’s played too many pots, but he does raise with a premium hand (although thinking about it now, I never saw him reraise). Since he just called my raise from the BB, I can’t put him on anything, but if I was going to make a move, this was the time). Button calls (!) and BB calls (!!). The river is a 2.

BB checks. I check.

Button bets.

Okay, now what? Did the BB slow play his AK? Did the button flop trips? Actually, to this point, I haven’t screwed up too badly (other than not betting the Ace on the flop). BB called and I called. Classic mistake. You need a MUCH stronger hand to over call. Aces with a J kicker could NEVER have won this pot, and it didn’t. BB had 2 pair (K2, but they were sooooted) and the button DID in fact flop a set of 6’s.

Ouch.

You should be reading: David Sedaris; Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

Final thought: Never... ever suggest they don't have to pay you. What they pay for, they'll value. What they get for free, they'll take for granted, and then demand as a right. Hold them up for all the market will bear. - Lois McMaster Bujold, A Civil Campain, 1999

No comments: