Monday, March 27, 2006

Beneath Me?

27 MAR 06

So, I’m reading a blog from Daniel Negreanu where he’s talking about his $3000/6000 game breaking up. He wanted to play some more, but the only available game was $400/800. He said that he didn’t think he’d be able to play his best because the limits were so much lower than he’s used to. He wouldn’t be able to stay focused. I start laughing. $400/800 is below him and he couldn’t concentrate or play his best? I told my wife, “If you ever hear me say that $400/800 is beneath me, slap me around a bit, okay?”

She agreed a little too quickly…

Anyway, last night I played another short session. While waiting for the $10/20 game to open up, I sat in the $6/12. For my fans (all three of you), you know how much I hate $6/12, but there I was. I won’t bore you with the hand history – suffice it to say that I played much too loose. I was on a freeroll because I won quite a bit this week. My hand selection was horrible. Here is an example of one hand with an odd outcome:

I’m dealt 3 4 of hearts and called a raise in a multiway pot.

Flop gives me a gut shot and 4 to the flush, I call one bet from the early raiser.

Turn is nothing, but I call yet again.

River pairs my four. Yuck. Something told me I had the best hand, so I bet. Early raiser raises, and I call.

He shows his AK and I drag a big pot with a pair of 4’s with a 3 kicker. The table goes nuts.

The real question is, what was I doing calling preflop? That’s almost justifiable, but how does that explain the flop and turn call? Trust me, I did not have the pot odds at the turn. Even if I got there, it was likely someone had a better flush, which reduced my outs.

The river call makes sense, but still. All I can figure is that I was playing too loose because $6/12 was “beneath me.” I had no reason to tilt – I was playing well. The “lower limit” explanation is the only one that makes sense. I guess I’ve come quite a ways from tilting at the $3/6 tables.

Can $400/800 be far behind?

Final thought: Please scroll down and re-read my post called Breaking News!! I’ve re-edited it, and I hope to have some goodies to share soon.

2 comments:

ImAllAbout said...

We have reviewed your blog and are impressed with it's content and design and are inviting you to join the ImAllAboutPoker.com community during the BETA phase. If you are interested please visit ImAllAbout.com and use invitation code 53568.


What is the ImAllAboutPoker.com community?

The ImAllAboutPoker.com community is a collection of 30 content-rich POKER blogs. Each day through-out the month your blog will be displayed first when anyone on the internet goes to ImAllAboutPoker.com . By inserting a small banner at the top of the browser, all 29 other blogs in the community will be accessible by the reader. Our goal is to established a community of 30 good POKER blogs that can easily be found on the internet. Each member of the community understands that the work of 30 is much larger than the sum of its parts.

Are there advantages of joining during the BETA Phase?

Yes. During the BETA phase, we are looking for 15 of the 30 POKER blogs. We would very much like for the BETA members help give up suggestions for the other 15.


If a join will my blog always be in the comminuty?

Maybe. To keep the community dynamic and fresh, we ask that the last update to your blog be with the past 30 days. If a blog becomes static, it will be replace with a new blog.


Why join the ImAllAboutPoker.com community?

1. It's absolutely free. You will never pay a penny.
2. To promote your blog along side 29 other good POKER blogs. Your saying no big deal, right? Well, read a little more. Once per month your blog will be displayed when anyone on the internet goes to ImAllAboutPoker.com Furthermore, your blog will always be accessible from our navigational toolbar. Our goal is to have your blog viewed through the ImAllAboutPoker.com community 2,000 times per month. Hopefully, you will have a few ads on your blog to help put money in your pocket.
3. You have nothing to loss.


How will the community succeed?

The community will succeed when all members promote it. Tell everyone about the ImAllAboutPoker.com community of blogs. Then and only then will we generate more traffic to the community. Remember, the work of 30 is much larger than the sum of its parts

Seattlejohn said...

I talk about this all the time in my blog. Once you play at a higher limit game it is really hard to step down and play good poker. You said it yourself just playing 8/16. Just take a few zeros off and Dan is just like us. He just has a way bigger bankroll. Same concept applies. We all just wish we could just kick around for fun in a $400/800 game. SJ