Friday, June 20, 2008

Table Selection

June 20th, 2008

Quick post today. Played some short-handed 20/40 at Diamond Lil’s. I’ve always prided myself in being very observant at the poker tables. As I’ve mentioned, I’ve been distracted lately, so that’s my excuse for not recognizing Seattle John when he sat down across from me (no linkage because he was forced to take his site down, ala Bobby). It was great to see him again. Unfortunately, the table was breaking up. I was up 1.5 buy-ins and about to cash out when some gently applied peer pressure, plus the idiot notion of wanting to test myself against the best, had me sit right back down. Now, I’ve never claimed to be a great short-handed player, but I know about position and how to be aggressive. Shannon was to my left – she of the nut straight vs. my flopped set. It’s strange not being the most aggressive person at the table.

I laid a bad suck out on her pocket Queens when I turned a naked Ace, but she got it all back when she did the same to me, this time rivering an Ace into my made pair with a flush re-draw. Fortunes change fast at this level, but when we were all forced to join a 10-handed 20/40 game, I was still up. Soon after I arrived, I almost got felted in two consecutive hands against some bad suckouts, but managed to fight my way back to even.

I consider it a win.

My next post will be #500. I’ve got some ideas brewing. Hopefully, I’ll also be able to give you all some good news.

No comments: