Thursday, December 21, 2006

MCA #1b – Is My Crisis Premature?

21 DEC 06

One of the things I love about blogging is that occasionally my posts create discussion and debate. I posted many poker hand histories early in my blogging career and got zero comments. When I posted about John Kerry or When to Pee, I got tons of comments, and ever further interesting discussion off line.

My Midlife Crisis has had a similar affect.

I wish you all could have been in the car with my wife and me to listen to our debate on this issue. Aside from being highly entertaining, it raised some key issues, not the least of which is, “Am I too young to be having a Midlife Crisis?”

As I’ve said since I was just a lad, if you have a question about life, consult the supreme authority –Wikipedia [1].

Here is what Wiki has to say about Midlife crises, with my commentary added in bold:

A mid-life crisis is an emotional state of doubt and anxiety – Hmmm… Perhaps I’m a little anxious, but I’m not doubtful.

In which a person becomes uncomfortable with the realization that life is halfway over. – Getting closer.

It commonly involves reflection on what the individual has done with his or her life up to that point – Reflection yes, but this implies that many MC’ers are disappointed with their accomplishments up to this point. In fact, I’m quite pleased with mine. I have a great wife, wonderful kids, and I get to serve my country and save lives every day. All totaled, I happy with where I am.

The condition is most common ranging from the ages of 35-50 – Ah HA!

And affects men and women differently – Amen, brother.

Mid life crises last about 3-10 years in men and 2-5 years in women- Fasten your seatbelt.

There is some question whether a "mid-life crisis" is any different from "a crisis occurring in mid-life." – This was peripherally addressed with my wife. “What if,” she asked, “I was premature and decided to have another midlife crisis when I’m 50? No one will believe me then.” I guess it would be like the boy who cried wolf. Well, guess what honey? This crisis will probably last until I’m 50, so nyah nyah – I can have my cake and eat it too (well, not if I intend to lose weight).

[One study] found that the average age at onset of a self-described "mid-life crisis" was 46. Hmmm. I may be a little premature, but I’ve always been an overachiever (underachiever?).

Certain characteristics displayed by individuals experiencing a mid-life crisis often include but are not limited to:

Search of an undefined dream or goal – Oh yeah
Desire to achieve a feeling of youthfulness – I was too awkward in my youth to really want to go back there.
Acquiring of unusual or expensive items such as clothing, muscle cars, jewelry, gadgets, etc. - Ferrari, baby!
Paying extra special attention to physical appearance – Hence the weightloss
Need to spend more time alone or with certain peers – This has Vegas written all over it.

Some people claim that these older and established individuals, rather than going through their mid-life crisis, are actually in a time of their lives when they can afford to do the things they wanted to do when they were young, which may explain the indulgences in certain commodities or activities. Some individuals find hitting 40 a great relief.

That about sums it up right there. Maybe this will all be a great relief. Stay tuned.


1 - Okay, Wiki has only been around for a few years, but you have to admit, it's pretty cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I vividly remember the crisis of reaching my 40th birthday. Like you, I also decided to restrict my food intake and lose weight. No more chocolate cake. No more cashews. No more Dunkin Donuts. My plan was to stick to it at all costs and weigh myself every day.

After 8 days, the only thing I lost was my will to live.

Good luck,
Hunter Silvastorm
www.huntersilvastorm.com