Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Birds and the Bees

20 MAR 07

Two events of momentous proportions have coincided, so I figured I’d commemorate them on my blog. I got my first ever live Royal Flush (had two online, but those don’t count right?), and my buddy Andrew BET INTO ME on the river, and I had “The Talk” with my 9 year old. When I look back on this day, I want to remember both events.

My son had been asking questions about reproduction for quite some time. Mom and I have been very good about answering in generalities, but I felt it was time to get specific. I waited until bed time, and it went something like this:

Dr. Chako: Son, it’s time I let you in on a little secret. It’s a secret all grownups know, and it’s your turn.

Son: Cool. What is it?

Dr. Chako: It’s about the birds and the bees (I actually said that – mostly for historical significance). You’ve been asking a lot about where babies come from, and now I’m going to tell you.

Son: I know where they come from – mommy's tummy.

Dr. Chako: That’s true, but do you know how they get in there?

Son: Umm, the egg?

Dr. Chako: Exactly! They start as an egg, but something has to happen first. Mommy mentioned it earlier this evening. Do you remember the word? It starts with an “F.”

Son: Umm, no.

Dr. Chako: The word was Fertilize (what were you thinking?).

Son: Oh yeah.

Dr. Chako: Do you know what that means?

Son: Not really, no.

Part II tomorrow

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Doc.
This reminds me of a really stupid joke I heard Merv Griffin tell on the Craig Ferguson show the other night.
The astronaut on the first manned mission to Mars is stunned to discover an entire civilization there. A martian greets him and begins showing him around, bragging about how advanced life is on Mars. They go to a big factory, where workers at an assembly line are putting tiny little fingers, legs, heads, etc. onto a conveyor belt. At the end of the line, an infant Martian baby is assembled.
The astronaut is astonished. "That's how you make babies?"
"Of course," says the Martian. "How do you do it on Earth?"
So the astonaut explains everything about the birds and the bees, the fertilzation word, the whole shebang, and the Martian begins laughing hysterically. The astronaut asks what's so funny.

The Martian's reply: "That's how we make cars."

But seriously folks.