Thursday, March 08, 2007

Difference between Military and civilian Friends

8 MAR 07

I just got the email below from an old military friend. It reminds me about some of the good about being in the Army. It’s always been about the people.

Some have asked me to comment about the situation at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. I won’t go there other than to say that there has never been a complaint about the quality of medical care patients receive while at the hospital. It’s only afterwards that there is a problem. There are more wounded soldiers than you can believe, but that’s the price we pay.

Similar complaints have been levied against my hospital (Madigan Army Medical Center), but it’s mostly noise. We do it well here. In fact, I would want MY family seen here, and I can’t say that about everywhere I’ve been.

One quick poker note – played a great short session last night that involved getting heads up a few times with my buddy Ryan. I tripled up (no thanks to Ryan) with a few good plays and a few lucky cards. Dammit Ryan, did you have me beat when I showed that top pair hand?

Oh yeah – HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD!

Now to the email…

Subject: Difference between Military and civilian Friends

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Get upset if you're too busy to talk to them for a week.
MILITARY FRIENDS: Are glad to see you after years, and will happily carry on the same conversation you were having last time you met.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
MILITARY FRIENDS: Are the reason you have no food.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Call your parents Mr. and Mrs.
MILITARY FRIENDS: Call your parents mom and dad.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Bail you out of jail and tell you what you did was wrong.
MILITARY FRIENDS: Would be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...we screwed up...but man that was fun!"

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Have never seen you cry.
MILITARY FRIENDS: Cry with you.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Borrow your stuff for a few days then give it back.
MILITARY FRIENDS: Keep your stuff so long they forget it's yours.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Know a few things about you.
MILITARY FRIENDS: Could write a book with direct quotes from you.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will leave you behind if that's what the crowd is doing.
MILITARY FRIENDS: Will kick the whole crowd's ass that left you behind.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Would knock on your door.
MILITARY FRIENDS: Walk right in and say, "I'm home!"

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Are for a while.
MILITARY FRIENDS: Are for life.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Have shared a few experiences. ..
MILITARY FRIENDS: Have shared a lifetime of experiences no civilian could ever dream of...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sniff Sniff

That was great! And so many of them are right on the money. Except for the jail one...oh wait, nope, that one's true too.

Anonymous said...

I would also add to that last one - have shared experiences before they even know they are friends.

That was a nice post.

Anonymous said...

I did once you folded ;)

DrChako said...

Bastard.