Friday, May 18, 2007

War as a Vacation?

18 MAY 07

I’m headed to Iraq. This is old news by now.

In the meantime, I was asked to take over as the chief of staff for my department. The prior chief of staff (my boss) is currently in Iraq, and I will replace him when I go.

Being the chief is a big job. I have so many balls in the air, it’s a wonder no one has called for my head. If you let it, this job will get to you.

I just got an email from the prior chief. Here is an excerpt:

Sorry I haven't been more communicative, there just isn't much news. The security situation is very, very secure so long as one remains on [the base], which is a huge complex. So far no indirect fire. The pace is very, very laid back -- I actually have time to get a few hours in at the gym every mid-day. I do work 7 days a week, but even with the gym break over lunch I'm still out of the hospital by about 1400-1500. And it's very nice to just be a clinical guy -- no particular extra leadership responsibilities and when I go home at the end of the day, it's not with the feeling that I've left some project, issue, or task that will be waiting for me to tackle when I return. You can't put a price on that. It's a nice little Sabbatical.

No indirect fire? Working 7 days a week? Sabbatical?

Sign me up!

Oh wait, they already did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the added bonus of no cleaning up dog barf, no wife nagging you about your spending habits or poker time, and no kids whining about who touched who first, or who called who a doo-doo baby head . . . maybe you should sign me up too.

Instead, I think I'll come snuggle up with you - too many upcoming nights of an empty bed.

Pauly said...

Best of luck over there!

Do they block my blog in Iraq?