Friday, September 14, 2007

What, No Lobster?

14 Sep 07

Well folks, I’m finally here in Iraq. I’ll have tons of stuff to tell you about in the coming weeks and months. Unfortunately, until I get my new laptop battery I am a bit handcuffed by time limitations.

Leaving a crying family at the airport was every bit as hard as you might imagine. The image of them huddled together for comfort stayed with me throughout the flight, and really through the two weeks I’ve been gone. It’s better today because I finally got my webcam working and I got to see smiles instead of tears. The connection is a little bit slow – it’s been likened to talking with the space shuttle. That’s appropriate because the landscape here in Baghdad is a lot like what I imagine the moon to be.

We started a list called, “You Know You Are Deployed in Iraq When…” The first entry is “when you get out of the shower and still have sand in every orifice in your body.”

I’ll have some pics in the coming days. For now, I want to explain the title of this post. He actually said, “What, no lobster? This is such bullshit!” This was a line spoken by a soldier in front of me at the dining facility. You may think he was joking, but it was spoken in all sincerity. Every Friday night is steak and lobster night here on Camp Striker. Since there was no lobster, I had to settle for King Crab legs. They were scrumptious. People give a lot of shit to Halliburton, but if I’m not mistaken, they are the parent company of KBR which handles our food. Nothing improves morale like good chow.

Finally, thanks for all your support for me and “The Wife” during these trying times. You may not think so, but your comments mean a lot. It’s like a little internet “care package.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You realize while you're having steak and lobster night (sans lobster, substitute King crab, boo hoo hoo . . .), I'm home trying to work and feed two kids and an au pair who never agree on food? So its either soup (or "soap", depending upon where you come from)and tuna sandwiches, or Sushi, but she won't eat, or Olive Garden for the third time in the week because she will eat pasta? The only thing the three of them agree on now is Old Country Buffet, which might outweigh any of the exercise benefits for me . . .

Wonderful to see your face last night on the 'net!

Love you,

The Wife

Anonymous said...

Once a month here on the ROK there is a birthday meal at one of the chow halls. It's an all-you-can- eat steak and lobster feast. But it's only for the enlisted troops. :) They deserve it, though. I get to have my own bathroom with my own toilet that works most of the time. I can live without lobster, but not without my own bathroom. Everything is pretty darn realative, ain't it?

Unknown said...

Life is relative.

Hoping life is treating you well.

I can't wait to see the list.

You keep writing, we'll keep sending you internet 'care packages'!

All my best,

sd

Daddy said...

Best wishes over there, bro.
Crush.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your service.

My brother, Sean, had a post on his blog about his adopted soldier who is serving our country in Iraq. I wanted you to know how much we appreciate your sacrifice. God bless.