Wednesday, July 08, 2009

I <3 the IRS

Seriously.

Aside from being a contract physician, I also have an internet-based business from my home. The taxes and forms almost make it not worth the effort, but it's too late to stop now.

I accidentally filed a form late (form 1120S if you care). I paid all my fees on time over the internet, but the actual form itself didn't get there until about 2 months after the due date. Another penalty. Oh well.

But wait!

When I called the IRS to ask which address to send my form, a very helpful woman named Judy answered. I told her about the late filing penalty and she said that this is the first year they are assessing the penalty. She told me they can automatically apply a "1st-time offender" waiver, which she did right there on the phone. $267 wiped away!

She also told me I could fax the form right to her (instead of mailing it), saving a several weeks in processing.

Our government actually working. W00t!!

5 comments:

Riggstad said...

I've noted this moment in time, have taken a screen print of it, and will forever save it in my database for proof whenever I feel a need for some additional assurance about our government and it's ways.

Kinda feel good moment to be able to referrence and say, "SEE!!! They can get it right!"

Man, you run good!

PrinceofHouston said...

I'm sure there are 3 different committees working right now to fixed this operational system.
We can't have efficiency in the government. It would put too many people out of a job.
But I'm glad you got the benefit before they screw it up.

BamBam said...

I just know this is going to turn into one of those, "then after a longing gaze, Judy fully turned around to reveal that she was in fact, a Grandmother." kinda' stories?

Sheesh.

Nice score.

DOPES 2 said...

Sea-Man,

When in doubt, always file Form 7004, "Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File Certain Business Income Tax, Information, and Other Returns" via certified mail.

The only cost is the postage, which is deductible.

Just send it before March 15th, as needed, (PRN) on an annual basis.

BTW, my trips got cracked in Vegas. Flopped 'em, got all the $$ in the pot and the guy with AA caught the third A on the turn.

Talk about a drag, I was the second tool to have trip 8's cracked at the table that night.

Later,

S

The Sandman Cometh said...

You got a bronze star? Sheesh, all I got was an arcom, and an aam for volunteering in the pharmacy. Nice picture of the back of your head, by the way.