Wednesday, July 01, 2009

On Anniversaries

Today is July 1st. That means it's been exactly one year since I got out of the Army. I remember dreaming of the day when I was finally free. All the things I could do. I would travel without having to get a threat-briefing. I would be able to come and go as I please. Hell, I could even smoke pot if I wanted (which I didn't).

Who could possibly imagine all the things that happened over the last year? Sure, I'm no longer a lieutenant colonel and no one salutes me any more. I also don't have to worry about going back to Iraq and I can honestly say I'm closer to my wife and family than ever before. That seems a little crazy since The Wife is living 800 miles away right now.

I wouldn't change a thing.

7 comments:

KenP said...

Absence makes the heart grow fonder and also provides a great road trip in one's Ferrari.

Riggstad said...

I often wonder what would have been if I decided to stay in the Marine Corps. I certainly recognize how different it would be, but I still wonder. Often. And I'm not sure that I would do it the same way again, if given the chance.

Unknown said...

Don't!. Just enjoy the ride, whether in a yugo or in a Ferrari.

You are a great man!

Sean

The NL Wife said...

If a Ferrari shows up in CA, it better be a gift . . . I'm watching the budget . . .

BamBam said...

Your service will NEVER go un-appreciated. Please know that.

But the "out" Doc Chako, he's kinda' cool too.

We have another ONE OF THOSE THINGS! Independance day means an awful lot around these parts too.

The Sandman Cometh said...

And don't forget meeting Grandma Death. Seeing her on a stairclimber almost made the whole deployment worth it. Have you found any partners for Egyptian Rat Screw?

DrChako said...

The scars from Egyptian Rat Screw still haven't healed!

I forgot about Grandma Death. She was one of the highlights of the deployment for sure. Did we get any pictures?

-DrC