Friday, February 12, 2010

I Have a Job!

Well, let me qualify that and say that I think I have a job. Until I actually start working and get my first check, I won't breathe that first sigh of relief.

Searching for a job was never something I thought I'd have to do. It's a humbling experience. For years I've felt like a rock star. I get job offers weekly - sometimes daily - that would make your head spin. Unfortunately, they are usually in out of the way places. If I was the sole bread winner, we'd already be in Texas where they've been begging me to come for the last 4 years. Well, life had different plans and we are Palo Altoans. If you've ever been here, you know how beautiful this place is. You can also understand that, since it's such a desirable place to live, no one ever leaves. Plus, with uncertainty about Obama-care, hospitals just aren't hiring.

I enlisted the help of a recruiter. As recently as two to three years ago, this was the job to have. Recruiters get between $20,000 and $50,000 to place a radiologist and the good ones could place at least one a month. Well, these days some of them are looking to get into real estate, to give you an idea how bad it is. The first recruiter was a bust, so I got a second. And a third. At last count, I had 12 recruiters "working" for me. Just today, I had another recruiter call. He agreed to work for me as long as I paid him a $1000 retainer. I was almost desperate enough to do it.

A couple weeks ago I decided to take matters into my own hands. I googled for imaging centers around Palo Alto and just started cold calling. A couple places were so unprepared that I actually had to print out my CV and fax (!) it to them. Believe it or not, it was one of those faxed resumes that did the trick. We met today, had lunch and we really hit it off. I'll let you know in the 30 to 60 days it will take him to cut loose his current teleradiologists and get a contract together. I'll be a 1099 contractor, which is fine by me (thanks for our benefits HP!), and it will be a big pay cut, but I'll finally get to be with my family full time. There's almost no price in the world that beats that.

13 comments:

BWoP said...

:-)

Fantastic news, Doc!

*smoooooooooooooches

I know, The Wife usually gets all my smooches, but this time I think you deserve them.

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Best of luck nailing that down, Doc. Glad you can be finally be around the family full time.

BamBam said...

I knew you could do it!
Huge congrats and the next time we see CK, you can have the *extra smooches, normally reserved for me.

I know... I know, I'm a nice guy that way.

KenP said...

My god. Do you realize you will be the only doctor in the world getting paid what he's worth instead of what he thinks he's worth?

This should be rewarded by you know who with something red with a horse emblem.

John G. Hartness said...

Congrats! I know it's been tough on you guys and I'm glad you'll be able to be together full-time now.

PrinceofHouston said...

For the record, Texas is not some out of the way place.
We are just farther south.

Unknown said...

Congrats!!! Are you still making it to G-Vegas so we can celebrate in person?

Steve said...

Glad to see you are finally getting to be with your family.

Unknown said...

And the Prince and I would welcome you and let the Whisky shots begin.

Good for you Doc, i've realized that moneys only place is to get you the things you think you need for happiness.

You already have the loving wife and family.

Bayne_S said...

Congratulations Doc!

10 years ago I had recruiters calling all the time.

To be honest the feeling special did not happen because you could hear the phones ringing in sequential order from cubicle to cubicle until they reached my extension.

Recruiters were more than happy to move you every 6 months for the % of annual salary fee and I would wager recruiters traded lists of people since 'ethically' they are not supposed to poach freom where they place.

lightning36 said...

Congrats. Sounds like this will be great for now.

SirFWALGMan said...

You put the RAD in Radiology!! LOL. I thought of you when I saw that commercial.

Pauly said...

Congrats.