Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Unusual Problem

11 JAN 06

I actually heeded my own advice, and played two SNG’s. The lure of the online ring game was strong, but I resisted. Actually, I was doing some filing while I played, so I had a distraction. I wonder if I played fewer hands because of it…

Anyway, I busted out early in the first game, largely due to a perception issue. Most people playing the $15 turbo SNG’s are playing at Level One. They only care about what cards they have. They rarely care about playing styles of those around them unless someone is clearly over the top.

Here is the problem. I was dealt a succession of fairly good starting hands. In one orbit, I was dealt KJ, AJ, A8s, 10 10, and 5 5. Now this was the early rounds, so the blinds were at 15 / 30. There is no way I’m laying these hands down. I even tried to mix up my play by coming in with between 2 and 5 x BB. Well, when you play a lot of hands, you get no respect. When I got the 10s, the flop came A J 9. I bet to see where I was and got called. The turn brought an 8 giving me an OESD and a pair. I bet again and got called. The river was a blank. I check and he checked, showing his J 4. How do you cold call two bets on that board? How do you call the flop? I’ll tell you how. When it’s coming from someone you don’t respect, you do like Mike Caro says and call the bluffer to the river. I think he was referring to limit play, but if the bets aren’t big enough, it may be worth a call, if for no other reason than to send a message.

When the blind were at 25 / 50, I saw a free flop from the BB with 9h6h. The flop was 963, all diamonds. I bet ½ the pot and there were 4 callers. The turn was the Ace of clubs. I bet the pot for the Ace bluff, but I was hoping that someone had a naked Ace, or was still drawing and might fold (yeah, right). I got one caller (?). The river was the Queen of diamonds, putting four diamonds (edited) on the board. It’s down to me and one other guy who I have outchipped by 2:1. I put him on the Ace, but no hearts. I go all in, and he thinks for about 30 seconds before calling with pocket 6’s for the set. Am I the only one who folds a set here?

Anyway, I busted out soon after that, and went back to filing. One more SNG, and I had no such problem with early good hands. I tripled up when the blinds were at 50 / 100 with JJ against AQ and KQ and coasted to the final table. I made one great all-in heads-up call with AQ when he had K9. Bottom line:

No Limit Hold'em - $15.00/$1.00
You finished the tournament in 1st place. $108.00

Back to form? Almost. I let you know after a few more SNG’s.

BTW: I was thinking about this post from Joe Speaker while I played. Thank you, sir. I was not a pussy.

2 comments:

Dawn Summers said...

When the blind were at 25 / 50, I saw a free flop from the BB with 9h6h. The flop was 963, all diamonds. I bet ½ the pot and there were 4 callers. The turn was the Ace of clubs. I bet the pot for the Ace bluff, but I was hoping that someone had a naked Ace, or was still drawing and might fold (yeah, right). I got one caller (?). The river was the Queen of hearts, putting four hearts on the board. It’s down to me and one other guy who I have outchipped by 2:1. I put him on the Ace, but no hearts. I go all in, and he thinks for about 30 seconds before calling with pocket 6’s for the set. Am I the only one who folds a set here?


how were there four hearts on the board?

DrChako said...

Good pick up. I meant to say that it was the Q of diamonds, putting four diamonds on the board. I'm going to try to correct the post now, but I'm pretty inept at this blogging thing.

-DrC