Monday, October 02, 2006

Something’s On My Mind

2 OCT 06

Obligatory poker content: I’m not good enough to get away from a flopped set when a third diamond comes on the turn and I KNOW he called my big raise on a draw.

***

I’ve been bugged lately. Normally, I’m a very happy-go-lucky kind of guy. I think my blog reflects that. I have a youthful enthusiasm. I love my job and I love my life. Sometimes I think my “voice” on this blog is too childish, but it’s all I know. I read Otis and hear a depth that I can’t manage. Pauly’s world is backed up by character with more folds than a Shar Pei. My life comes across like Mayberry.

But something is bugging me.

I’m hesitant to blog about it. I’ve read others like Joe Speaker who were able to really work through some issues by blogging about it. Sure, there was plenty of great advice in the comments sections of those blogs, but the catharsis obviously came from putting the words out there to begin with.

There are some big life changes ahead of me in the very near future.

I’m turning 40.
I’m celebrating 20 years in the Army this month.
My poker game sucks (relatively minor, but I think it factors in somehow).
My side business is successful and profitable.
I’ll be getting out of the Army to look for gainful employment in the world of “real doctoring” within a year and a half (probably).
My wife is set to make partner within the next two years, which may entail a move.
My oldest son is a great storyteller, but all of his stories revolve around TV shows (as opposed to soccer goals or baseball plays, I guess).

There is more, but just typing this is starting to sting a little. I can’t put my finger on it. I just have to work a few things out.

No comments: