Friday, October 27, 2006

Unfinished Business

27 OCT 06

From the Nickel Please story: She finally gave me my nickel and took the 4 pennies, but I’m certain she thought I somehow cheated the system.

From the You People story: The thing I left out was that Bill doesn’t have a racist bone in his body. When I told him how the comment may have been perceived, he was shocked. Bill is a pretty simple guy with a good heart, and he was really bothered by what I said. In fact, he was so bothered that he went out of his way to tell me two things he felt were really important:

He looked up “people” in the dictionary.
There was nothing in there about racism.

My bad. I guess I was just being overly sensitive. I think the correct term here (endearingly) is “palooka.”

Finally, this thought regarding someone breaking into my home: Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - Helen Keller

My next post will reflect on tomorrow, October 28th, 2006. To coin a Beatles song, “It was 20 years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play.” Or, more appropriate to my case – 20 years ago tomorrow was the day a young Private Chako joined the US Armed Services.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 20 year mark. What a huge deal that is! I just had my 16 year anniversary on the 19th of last month, which just so happens to be the aniversary of the Air Force. I will reflect in my comments after I read your post about it. :)