Thursday, January 04, 2007

On a Flight Last Weekend to Texas…

4 JAN 07

I read the magazine in the seat back. It’s called American Way, and there is a picture of Edward Norton on the front. As you flyers know, these magazines try to have articles that appeal to the masses, so there are usually columns about popular culture, actors and golf. Recently, poker has crept in too. Imagine my surprise when I read the following:

“The line of bloggers is huge an unkempt. Picture the kids who thought Anthony Michael Hall was a god in Sixteen Candles. Now picture them at age 23 buying into a no-limit tourney. Right. Horrifying.”

And this…

“Summertime (the nickname of one of a group calling themselves the Batfaces) quickly regrets his choice (to play in the tournament). “Worst decision ever,” he texts us. “Sitting between guy with Gorgon breath and a girl who introduced herself as Jane 100.”

Could Eric Celeste (the author and former senior editor at said magazine) be talking about our own Change?

***
One quick story before I go. We had a wonderful Mexican dinner last night at Azteca. My 4 year old has to go potty (as usual). We get into the bathroom and I hang up his jacket on the hook in the stall. When we get back to the table, he proudly announces, “Mommy! There were hookers in the bathroom!”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been in that bathroom and *seen* the hookers...

AlCantHang said...

It very well could be. The Batfaces and DanM from Pokerati.com run around killing poker games. And writing for the occasional airplane bound magazine.

Anonymous said...

What kills me about your relay of the American Way magazine article of kids who thought Anthony Michael Hall (AMH) was a God in 16 Candles and is now a 23 year old buying into a no-limit tourney is that it got my brain going momentarily. Possibly because I am currently in GMAT hell. But it must be said that if someone saw 16 Candles and thought that AMH was a God, they would not be a 23 year old today. They would be 38. 16 Candles came out in 1985 (or 86). 22 or so years ago. They would have had to think AMH was a god when they were 1. Maybe 2.

DrChako said...

You need to take a break from studying.

Easycure said...

I saw the magazine last week and took it with me. And I had an amazing blog post in my head all ready to go until you neat me to it.

Thanks alot.

And Dantana I gotta believe is Dr. Pauly. Right?

DrChako said...

I wasn't sure about Dantana. I'll have to read it again. I love being compared to AMH groupies.

When are we getting together for the inaugural home game in Federal Way?