Monday, January 22, 2007

Poker at the Boss’s Recap

22 JAN 07

A good time was had by all. This was clearly a social game. Buy in was $5, so no one would feel pressure. Still, it’s funny to watch a bunch of doctors hemming and hawing over $5.

Random Doctor: “I don’t know. I watch poker on TV, but I really don’t know how to play.”

Dr. Chako: “C’mon already! It’s five lousy bucks!”

Turns out they were serious about not knowing how to play (the hand-ranking sheets at each seat were a dead giveaway). One hand illustrates this. I call from early position with K9 spades and get two other callers. Flop is Q 8 4 all clubs. I check and it checks around. Turn is a red King. I bet and both call, so I figure they are on a flush draw. River is a blank, but I have no idea where I am. Check, check and check.

Dr. Chako – top pair.
Dr. #2 – Top two.
Dr. #3 – The FLOPPED nut flush.

Is that any good?

Well, Mrs. Chako was the big winner - is that any surprise? She played well, but it was her third suckout on the river that cinched the deal. Paid for babysitting - yee-haw!

If you’ll remember, they think of me as the “poker guru,” and they walked away thinking, “I can beat that guy. He ain’t so tuff.”

Got ‘em right where I want ‘em. Now I just need to get them to up the stakes next time.

Like that’s ever gonna happen.

4 comments:

StB said...

Funny. I walked away thinking the same about you as well. :)

DrChako said...

LMAO!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Chako would like to clarify that only TWO hands were suckouts - one was actually a re-suck after my pocket jacks fell behind to the other guy's 10 7 offsuit giving him two pair on the flop, so the straight was just a well-deserved win for playing the best hand against a clearly weaker hand. And the other two suckouts were just the "what goes around, comes around" for things like putting the short stack all in against my pocket queens and having his crappy A6 offsuit catch a river ace to stay in. I played nothing but good hands in good positions, so I deserve one or two rivers in the grand scheme of things.

Anonymous said...

Not that I'm competitive or anything.