Sunday, June 10, 2007

Being Aware of Tilt

10 JUN 07

I’ve actually been playing a little poker lately, and I’ve done well in the local tournament. They just expanded their poker room and the daily 11:30 am $35 tournament gets between 40 and 80 people. Who are these people that aren’t working between 11:30 am and 2 pm on a weekday?!

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about tilt. When my stack gets short, I’ve been pushing a little too hard with the “double-up or go-home” mentality. Bad form. There is always someone willing to call me down with bottom pair, leaving me shaking my head and walking away in a huff. Well, at least I don’t have to waste my time at the cashier’s cage.

But, why can’t I be that other guy. If I recognize another player is on short-stack tilt, can’t I call him down with bottom pair and take the rest of his money? Is this move even profitable?

It sure is against me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you are on short stack tilt, stop playing crappy cards and bluffing. That way, when moron pushes you with bottom pair, you can turn over something better and laugh all the way to the cashiers cage.

That's my sage advice. Play as tight as your wife - see if that works. Its definitely not a quick solution, but it can work.

Or put it in the bank. :)

Ryan Kirk said...

Well I'm for sure the wrong person to ask. I seem to always find myself on the short stack in a tournament by about the third or fourth level (if I've made it that far). In fact, I just blogged about my own pathetic tournament play here as of late. I'm hoping it can only get better.

It seems that the people who have all the chips by about the fourth level are the maniacs who have gotten lucky to get them, but then every time I try to play a tournament like that (start playing loose-aggressive to accumulate some chips), I keep running into the stone cold nuts and look like an idiot just donking off all my chips. I'm darned if I do, damned if I don't. What gives?

Anonymous said...

Now that I am in Korea, all the instructions on how to comment on your bolg show up on my computer screen in Korean. I think. Could be Chinese. Or ancient Aramaic. So I posted comments to your last two blogs but must have hit the wrong button because I couldn't read the instructions. Too bad. Not typing them again. For all I know, I am going to do it again on this one! So...why weren't YOU at work at 11:30 on a weekday???

Anonymous said...

Fact: The structure of muck tourneys suck. Flat out.

b