Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Help?

My hospital is huge and confusing. There is a central multi-level square with a long hallway to a nursing/bed tower and a 90 degree hallway to a medical mall. Patients are often found wandering the hallways with a confused, lost look in their eyes. The good news is that every single employee here - doctors, nurses, janitorial staff, you name it - will stop a lost soul and ask if they need directions. It's one of the things I love about this place.

Today I was walking past a young orderly who was giving directions to an older woman pushing her husband in a wheelchair. As I approached, I heard the woman say, "Is this the way out? My car is by the nursing tower." As I passed, I heard the orderly reply, "Sure is! Just head down to the elevator, go up one floor, and then out you go!" This caused me to stop in my tracks.

"Excuse me," I interjected. "Were you looking to get out?" They replied that yes, that's exactly what they wanted.

"Well, you can head straight down this hallway, right out the doors into the parking lot. No elevator necessary!"

"Really?" replied the orderly. "We're not in the basement?"

"Umm... see those big windows there? Nope. Not in the basement."

I'm glad I came along when I did. The thought of this woman pushing her husband out the 2nd story window is just terrifying.

5 comments:

BamBam said...

Windows........
Orderly........
Will you be saying Blonde?......

I call BS.

I think all the older gal's that you've been checking out, may be interfering with your sense of reality.

But that's just me.

What do I know about Fairys?

See you, (both?) soon.
(Do NOT say, wishful thinking !!!!)

:)

The Sandman Cometh said...

Maybe he has it coming.

Me, personally, with all my experience, I'd do it with an axe.

OhCaptain said...

Your hospital sounds like a piece of cake compared to mine. Mine is about 150 years old and has had more renovations and additions then Joan Rivers.

During my first week on the job last year, I attempted to find the employee cafeteria on my own. Thankfully I found a spot where my cell phone work and called OhCountess and she routed me to safety.

So glad she did her nursing training there. Whew!

SirFWALGMan said...

HERO!

Unknown said...

Faster than a speeding Ferrari,
more powerful than a tilted waffles, able to rake stacks of chips in a single grab.

Look up in the sky,
It's a bird,
No it's a plane.

IT'S SUPERDOC!

Yes, It's Superdoc a strange visitor from another state who came to the hospital with powers and abilities far beyond those of Normal Physicians.

Superdoc, with his powers to bitch slap orderlies and routing elderly patients to their cars, can bend x-rays to his will.

And who disguised as Doc Chako, mile mannered doctor for a great metropolitan hospital, fights a never ending battle for Truth, Justice and The American Way...

And now another exciting episode in the adventures of Superdoc.