Friday, July 20, 2007

White Cloud

20 July 07

Do you believe that certain people just have good luck?

I am known as having a white cloud at my hospital. This means that when I’m on call, my residents expect that the workload will be light. They are usually right. Certainly, the fact I’m on call has no effect on how many car crashes happen or how many people choose to have a bout of appendicitis, right? Yet, I consistently have the fewest number of emergency cases when I’m on call. My residents love me. I’ve even suspect several residents have changed their call just to be on with me. This may have something to do with me being a little easier to get along with than some other staff physicians, but I’m pretty sure the cloud thing factors into the decision. It’s illogical, but it’s hard to argue with historical fact.

All I’m saying is, if you choose to drive recklessly or engage in an activity that might lead to a hospitalization, first check to see if I’m on call that night. I might be your guardian angel.

No comments: