Monday, January 07, 2008

Today I am Angry

I spent most of the day today chasing my tail. We have a debilitated patient who no longer requires medical care and has been approved to be released to his family. This approval came last week. When I came in this morning, I saw the patient was still here. Perhaps he is just waiting on transportation?

No. The reason he is still here is because the police unit that actually does the transfer unilaterally decided that his medical problems were such that he should be transferred to a hospital, not to his family.

Hello? I am a board certified physician. I consulted with multiple other board certified physicians in multiple other specialties prior to making this decision. Who the fuck are you to tell me where to send my patient? A cop? Are you fucking serious?

But wait. It gets better. The cops made this decision 4 days ago and DIDN'T TELL ME ABOUT IT. So this patient has been sitting in a crowded hospital, taking up bed space, because some idiot "decided" the transfer didn't make sense.

Well, after some extremely diplomatic emails (I had to delete all the curse words prior to hitting SEND), I finally convinced the cops that we actually know what we are doing over here at the hospital. They have just now agreed that we can send the patient to his family. This process consumed 8 hours of my day today.

Just another day at the office.

3 comments:

The NL Wife said...

Hmmm . . . sounds suspiciously like when, say, . . . the US government tells you how to audit or something like that. Because politicians are good auditors.

At least you don't have to live in the same house as the people who make you crazy!

:)

BamBam said...

Hmmmmmm...........

The owner of the company I work for has been mysteriously M.I.A. for exactly 5 days.

You don't think....

Naaaaaah, can't be !

Be safe !

BamBam said...

OK Doc....

Some fun and games are definately required here.

Hit us with your best shot.

Tag U R it !

( you can still be safe though ! )