Thursday, November 03, 2005

Vegas Recap

3 NOV 05

Okay. I got it now. Poker is (+) EV. Gambling is (-) EV.

But gambling is fun!!

I broke down the totals from my trip last week to Las Vegas.

NLHE: (-) $190
LHE: (+) $90
Tournament: (-) $124

Roulette: (-) $60
Craps: (-) $6
Blackjack: (-) $10

Total: (-) $300

It would seem like Limit Hold ‘em is my specialty, but I don’t think that’s true. I killed the No Limit tables at 1-3, but GOT killed at 2-5. Once again, I bought in for the minimum and I was over my head. When that happens, I don’t bet appropriately. I know that. I KNEW that, yet when that 2-5 table opened up, I sat right down. There was one famous guy at the table – people called him Cowboy. You’d recognize him from the WSOP broadcasts. He cleaned up and overbet when he knew someone would fold. That’s such a powerful tool, and I had it in my arsenal at 1-3, but not at 2-5. I couldn’t pull the trigger on a $200 bluff. I did in fact pull the trigger on a $90 semi-bluff at 1-3.

I have Q 10 off with the Queen of clubs. I raised to $12 on the button and get two callers. The flop comes all clubs, King-high. I had a straight and flush draw. The first position guy bets $15. That screamed “continuation-bet.” The second guy just called, so I put him on a draw. He was a good player, so I knew he would fold if I bet appropriately. I paused for effect, and bet $90. Both folded, and I raked a decent pot.

Here is one hand I’m not sure I would play differently. I’ve gamed several scenarios, and all have me losing, sometimes losing a lot more than I did.

Playing 1-2 NL at the Sahara. There is a bully to my right who refuses to chop the blinds. He raises to $10, and I call with 4 5 off.

Flop A 4 4, rainbow. Sweet.

He bets $10 and I quickly call.

Turn 7.

He bets $20, and I quickly call.

River 7. Full house, baby.

He checks.

I take my time and bet $30. He quickly raises to $100.

Pocket aces? Case 7? No way. I put him on AK.

I call. He turns over K 7 diamonds for the higher full house.

Before the night was over, most of us at the table had his money, but I heard from one of the locals that he wins more than he loses. Go figure.

No comments: