Friday, September 22, 2006

Driveway Moment

22 SEP 06

NPR has something called a driveway moment, where people will sit in their car in order to finish listening to a particularly compelling story. This morning, in the parking lot of the hospital, I had to finish listening to John Feinstein talk about the Ryder Cup and his favorite moment.

He reminded us about Payne Stewart in the 1999 Cup, when, after enduring really horrible American crowds all day, Colin Montgomery was facing a 20 foot putt to win his match. The Americans had already won the cup, but Colin’s match hung on this putt. In his last public act (Payne died in a plane crash a month later), Payne picked up Colin’s ball and handed it to him, conceding the match.

It was one of my favorite moments, too.

The driveway moment was especially funny because as I got out of my car, two other doctors, who also had been sitting in their cars to listen to the story, also got out. We all looked at each other and smiled.

Final thought: I can no longer go to Al Can’t Hang’s blog from work. I get this:

ACCESS DENIED: DATING

This is hysterical and wrong on so many levels, I can’t begin to explain.

No comments: