Friday, April 20, 2007

Tilt?

20 APR 07

Did you ever go on tilt for no good reason? I haven’t played poker in over a week, so that can’t be it. My deployment is still 5 months away – no change there. I even heard from the doc who is out there now. He tells me it’s about the safest place in Baghdad.

I’m still 40. Been that way over a week now. Hmmm…

No. I really don’t think that’s it. If I force myself to think about it, I built up turning 40 pretty badly. The worst was about one month before the actual birthday. The day itself was pretty good – fun actually. I felt at peace with the inevitable and decided to enjoy it. Maybe the source of this unusual feeling is the reality of being 40 actually setting in.

I sure got a reminder of my age this week. I started playing racquetball again. Since I’m not one to go half-way, I decided to play 8 consecutive games.

Okay, so I’m a bit of a moron. At least I won 5 of them.

I can barely walk this week. Surely I didn’t struggle this much when I was younger (or in shape).

I’m still working on this one. Maybe it's some combination of all of it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe it is just the anticipation of leaving?

DrChako said...

It's a good thought, but I think I'm mentally in the right place for my deployment. I suppose the only thing that bugs me is that I don't yet have my Ferrari. My wife successfully convinced me that it didn't make any sense to buy one before I deploy. I just hope she realizes that:

a. I'll be expecting one when I get back.

and

b. If I get killed over there, I'll haunt her from the grave for not letting me have a Ferrari before I died.

Anonymous said...

The threat of eternal haunting will not get you a Ferrari any faster than whining, saying all the other hubsbands have one (which I know they do not), or any of your other tireless ploys. If you win the Mega Millions when you come home, we can renegotiate. Until then, you will park your Ferrari "need" behind the 5,000 other priorities in life that demand the same $100,000+.

I still love you. Sometimes, just barely, but I do.