Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Young Frankenstein

Tonight is traditionally my favorite night of the year (well, at least until I was 18). It's Mischief Night, and it always falls the night before Halloween. Much trouble did I cause in my youth. We shall not revisit those demons.

Tomorrow is Halloween, and my 10 year old son has determined he's too mature to go trick-or-treating. Besides, he says, he never gets any really good candy anyway. Instead, he's going to hide behind one of our trees and scare the hell out of trick-or-treaters. Zeyda will be so proud!

I had a total Halloween moment yesterday. As I was looking for a table in the dining facility, I came face to face with a woman that honestly reviled me the moment I saw her. I had a complete visceral reaction. It was a total Frau Blücher moment (I even heard the horses whinny). Turns out most people react to her that way. She is well known in these parts and is best avoided, (or so I'm told) mostly because her attitude is so negative that it tends to bring everyone down. It reminds me of a great quote I heard – "The only tool the miserable have is recruitment." Roll that one around in your noggin.

Well, through a series of unfortunate events, I ended up sitting right next to her at dinner. She asked me how I was coping with the deployment. I hit her with both barrels of my sunshine gun. I told her this was perhaps the greatest thing I had ever done in my life. I have developed a great circle of friends and my social calendar is filled beyond capacity.

I effectively built a karma wall between us that she was unable to climb over. She quickly gave up and went on to other victims. I felt like a superhero.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice Cape doc!

30% down, 69% to go.

Live Large my friend!

RaisingCayne said...

I like the quote. Way better than simply "misery loves company."

Nice job on proactively countering the negativity!

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! More people should read it. If you want, you can register your blog www.pokerweblogs.com. It is free and and it automatically updates when you do an update, so visitors of our site can see when you updated your blog. The big advantage is that it will attract much more visitors to your blog.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Chako,

I once met a woman who looked like a cross between Phyliss Diller, Medussa and Eleanor Roosevelt who, by the way, was the only First Lady ever able to eat an apple through a picket fence. The name of this mutated abberation was Rachi-Poosh, which in Farci means Lizard Breath. I realize that this is not supposed to be an act of one-upmanship, but I just couldn't help myself. You inspired me.

Hunter Silvastorm

Anonymous said...

Dr. Chako,

Hiding in the bushes and scaring the hell out of all the adorable little children in their cute Halloween costumes? Zeyda is indeed proud of your 10-year old son.

Zeyda

Anonymous said...

Holy moly. Mischief night. Classic, bro. Good times. 'nuff said.

911siren said...

Did she mutter "Curses, spoiled again!" under her breath as she looked sneeringly away?

Anonymous said...

I hit her with both barrels of my sunshine gun. I told her this was perhaps the greatest thing I had ever done in my life. I have developed a great circle of friends and my social calendar is filled beyond capacity.

I effectively built a karma wall between us that she was unable to climb over. She quickly gave up and went on to other victims. I felt like a superhero.


That's going to make me smile for a couple of days.